1750 GTV – December 2010
I’m not going to pull the front suspension or rear axle out at my place – I’m going to run out of time or strip something and it’ll be too hard. It’s easy to move around while it’s on it’s wheels and easier to get to the body shop. Today I removed the last bits of brake pipe, brake limiter, exhaust shields, rear sway bar, and started on the rear trunnion bar. Really wish I’d properly degreased that rear axle before starting this…
These heat shields appear to be metal on one side and a heat-resistant material on the other – hopefully not asbestos? Pretty rough looking but should look okay when the underside is painted black.
Brake limiting valve looks pretty ugly – wonder if this is serviceable or a replacement is required…
The plating on these indicators is fairly pitted, I doubt it will rub out so will have to look for some replacements.
January 2, 2011
I am enjoying your journal, I will have to get trained up to do something similar once my shed is up so that I can start on and discuss my 100 or so odd projects.
Two points of concern though:
removing front springs can be a dangerous exercise. It appears that you used 2 lengths of “all thread” with washers and nuts to lower the spring pan. From a safety point of view you need to use 4, that is one on every corner of the pan. I agree it’s a painfull job, but those threads are mild steel if one lets go, the spring could well be heading in you direction. Don’t want to think of the consequences.FYI, the factory tool has 4 threads, grips and a thick plate all made of high tensile steel.
The exhaust shields most certainly contain asbestos, years ago I removed them as well by wetting them down and then double bagging the material. Remember to remove the staples first.
Take care, as we all want you to be around for a long time yet.
January 7, 2011
I maintain this site on my own hosting, but that’s unnecessarily painful. I suggest sign up on http://www.blogger.com as it has all you need for free.
Thanks for the advice. I did the other side with three threaded rods. I don’t think I’ll do it this way again unless I can get some high-tensile thread or the factory tool.